Friday, January 8, 2010

Analyzing the Main Theme.

I soon discovered that the state did not offer the comforts the main title song promised:

OKLAHOMA where the wind comes sweeping down the plain...

The wind certainly did whip against my face... to a point of discomfort. I'd also argue that it did not sweep down the plain, but rather whip against a face that has been battered by a life of reporting.

And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain.

Unfortunately the only smell I smelt was that of urine in Oklahoma City, and when the wind came after the rain that smell only intensified.

Oklahoma, Ev'ry night my honey lamb and I
Sit alone and talk and watch a hawk
Makin' lazy circles in the sky.

For days I searched for a hawk. I searched and searched and searched. Alas, the only thing I could find making lazy circles was the drunk man I found on a street corner... and he was far from the sky, reader... very far indeed.

We know we belong to the land
And the land we belong to is grand!


It seemed very average to me.

And when we say
Yeeow! Ayipioeeay!

I never heard these sentences.

We're only sayin'
You're doin' fine, Oklahoma!
Oklahoma O.K.

O.K. Oklahoma... you might be doing fine... but the musical promised such better things than fine! I figured I was missing something... I had to missing something! Why was the musical so much more engaging theatrically then the city!

I pulled my jacket tighter and went looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment