Friday, January 8, 2010

What began my quest

As a reporter I am often sent to various locations for meaningless tasks and assignments. This one is no different. Oklahoma apparently has one or numerous colleges that NEEDED covering for their football teams... and for some reason I was hired as the unfortunate schlub to travel from my terrific studio in Chelsea, New York, the height of fashion and culture, to Oklahoma State.

But wait. Just as always, I thought, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. Suddenly my brain was flooded with memories of a movie I saw as a young boy... of an evil ranch hand, a terrific ballet and the tearing down of discriminatory laws between farmers and cowmen. Yes. I remember that the movie Oklahoma was about not a man named Oklahoma, but the STATE OKLAHOMA!

You could imagine my excitement.

So I took off to O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A OKLAHOMAAAAAAAAAA with a martini in my hand, and an inevitable love story full of music to be had.

Oh how I was wrong.

I ended up not writing about the football teams. I found it far more interesting that the musical is far more interesting than the state both in entertainment value and character development. So I wrote about that. That is what an investigative journalist does.

No comments:

Post a Comment