Friday, January 8, 2010

Oklahoma's Story Arch: A Comparison

Of course the best part of the musical Oklahoma is the story arch. There are few that will disagree with me here. The score by Richard Rogers and Oscar Hammerstein III are nothing to scoff at obviously, but there are few things better than the story of a young lover, the gal he longs for, the evil ranch hand, the comic relief and a good sense of opposing sides.

With that said, the story arch of Oklahoma State is nothing short of boring for me to witness. Let me tell you that upon arriving at the airport I noticed that there were several people milling around the baggage claim, and not a single evil farmhand among them. The story of my journey to the state essentially consisted of me getting off the plane, deciding not to write about football because it bored me, and then drinking while asking people where the nearest evil farmhand was.

It was boring, and ultimately unsuccessful, and absolutely not cathartic and what arch was there to love? What characters could I fall for? Certainly not the man who was wearing a Oklahoma Thunder Sweatshirt:


What character arc does this man have? Nothing. I decided to continue to search for evidence that this state is even WORTHY to share the name with the musical.


No comments:

Post a Comment